As of December 31, 2017, NERDug has closed it's doors.
Over the past 5-10 years, things have changed.
- Changes at Ellucian have made it harder to get the contributed
content many end users desire (less marketing/sales pitches, and more
demonstrations or "how to" sessions).
- Cost cutting by Ellucian has led to
more online/remote sessions from Ellucian which generally were not
well received in 2017.
- We have been able to continue with a full slate of 60+ sessions each
year, but it is increasingly harder to fill those sessions. For
example, in 2015 we had 60 confirmed sessions as of May 20 whereas in 2017
it took until June 12. This may not sound like a big difference, but
considering that our Early Bird deadline is around June 15, many clients
are unwilling to register for a conference without seeing a full slate of
- We completely lost the Advancement track after the 2015 conference.
- The HR track is small (3 sessions) and would be non-existent
without the contributed sessions of an Ellucian employee who happens to
live in New England.
- The Admissions and Financial Aid track has also begun to shrink in
the last three years.
- Following the recession in 2008 many colleges have curtailed professional
development and conference travel and not surprisingly our attendance has waned
during this period. Our total attendance in 2017 was 165, the second
lowest attendance in the last 10 years.
- We have both a decreased number and consistency of individuals
involved/interested in planning and executing the work of putting
on the annual conference.